OMG! Have I got good news for you! Today I am getting into something that could change a lot of peoples lives in a good way! You have something in your KITCHEN -well, most of my remedies can be found in your kitchen…but keep reading ;-)- that may be your answer to growing your hair, regrowing your edges (if that’s an issue), and maintaining a good healthy scalp to continue the growth and care of your hair!!
This everyday vegetable can not only maximize the flavor of your food but it can also maximize the growth of your hair!!
My Skinnies…Get ready to CRY tears of joy 🙂 …because the ONION (See what I did there?) may be your solution!!! Yes I said an ONION!
Read how this expert breaks down how an ONION can make the difference in your goal of achieving hair growth and why it could help!
Benefits of Onion for Hair Growth
- Stimulates blood circulation and fastens hair growth.
- Helps prevent premature graying of hair
- Onion contains sulphur which is an excellent tonic for hair thinning.
- Regular application of onion helps thicken hair by improving its volume.
- Onion is a natural cure to treat hereditary hair loss.
- Several research-studies conducted on hair fall have established that onions contain great healing properties, effective in treating conditions such as androgenic alopecia or female pattern baldness.
- Onions are helpful in controlling hair problems like dandruff.
- The antibacterial properties of onion aid in treating, several scalp and hair infections caused by fungi and yeast.
Here is HOW Onion Helps
by expert James Dudley
Most of it has to do with its anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti parasitic properties that keep the scalp clean of dandruff and hair roots unclogged. Genetic sensitivity to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a major cause for genetic male pattern baldness. Onions has proved to provide the hair follicles with nourishment that has been blocked by DHT sensitivity or due to lack of nutrients from an unhealthy diet.
Sulphur ( also called the “beauty mineral”) which is present in every cell of the human body especially the skin, nails and hair, is another important nutrient in onions that decreases inflammation, reinvigorates and regenerates hair follicles growth.
Greying and thinning of hair is also caused by oxidative stress through a buildup of hydrogen peroxide and a decrease in the natural antioxidant, catalase. Onion juice, when applied to the scalp increases catalase levels on the skins surface, reducing the buildup of hydrogen peroxide and boosting hair health.
Few research results found that just after four weeks of using onion juice, 74% of individuals with alopecia areata (extreme medical case where the immune system forces hair fall) experienced significant hair regrowth. Within six weeks of using onion juice, 84% of the individuals were reported to have hair regrowth.
Ways to Topically Apply Onion for Hair growth:
Preparing Onion Juice
- Food processor or Blender: Peel onions and cut them into four sections. Blend them evenly in the blender. Remove and strain through a fine sieve.
- Grater: Cut onion into two halves. Grate both these halves over a plate. When done, strain out the juice from the grated onion, using the back of a spoon.
- Cloth method: Collect the outer peels of the onions (try using the one’s discarded while cutting vegetables) and blend them. Put them in a muslin cloth or a thin cotton cloth and squeeze it directly on the hair or in to a bowl if you’re mixing it with some other ingredient for your mask.
DIY Onion Hair Masks
You will need to keep the onion masks on your scalp for at least 30 minutes or longer to achieve desired results. Some people may find the smell offensive, so you can rinse the hair off using a mild shampoo with rose water. Repeat the remedies at least thrice a week for best results.
Note: Before applying onion juice, test it on a small area to ensure that you are not allergic. Onion juice applied topically is said to give your hair a nice coppery shade. But, if you want to maintain the natural colour of your hair, mix onion juice with 1-2 tsp of mustard oil. The oil will prevent the color lightening caused by onions.
1. Onion-Honey Mixture: Mix ¼ cup of onion juice with 1 tbsp. of honey and apply the mix on the scalp. Massage it for 15 minutes every day. Alternatively, you can also consume it orally, every day.
2. Onion-Rum Mask: Finely chop one medium sized onion and soak this in a glass of rum overnight. Strain the mixture, the next day to remove the onion pieces. Use the concoction to massage the scalp or use it as a hair rinse after washing the hair.
3. Onion Juice Hair Rinse: Add 4-5 chopped onion to 1 litre of water and boil it for about 10 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool and strain the mixture.
4. Regular Mask: Try applying onion juice every day on your hair directly for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
5. Onion-Garlic Mask: Crush garlic and extract juice. Add this to the onion juice and massage it in your scalp. Leave it on for 30 min before rinsing it off.
6. Onion-Gooseberry Mask: Gooseberry or ‘amla’ is a very powerful remedy for hair loss and hair re-growth. You can powder dried amla or soak dry amlas in any oil of your choice and mash them to form a paste. You can add amla powder or paste with onion juice to your hair once a week for 30 minutes-1 hour to see amazing results.
Since this is a natural remedy, you will have to stick with it diligently for at least 2 months to see definitive results. To boost hair growth, you can also massage your hair and scalp with a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil once a week, ideally leaving it overnight. Also, don’t forget to include onions and other fruits and vegetables as a part of a healthy hair diet.
So Skinnies! I had to share this and I will soon post my results after doing this method ONCE PER WEEK! I hope you enjoyed today’s post and please give it a try! You never know…this may be what you have been looking for! Please note that you can wash it out so no worries about the smell.
Have you ever tried using onion juice to grow your hair?
I am always open to hear your thoughts, questions, comments, or concerns! I’m super excited to try this and see what my results will be! Until next time my Skinnies, keep loving you and the Skin you are in!
Lic. Holistic Skin and Wellness Therapist